Lymph drainage therapy basically refers to the use of massage therapy to improve the flow of fluid in the lymphatic system.
Using a light and precise massaging techniques, qualified massage therapists can clear stagnant fluid from lymph node and activate the flow of lymphatic fluid in blocked nodes in order to detoxify the body.
It is an important procedure because stagnant body fluids are toxic and can cause swelling of the lymph nodes as well as other health problems.
Because the therapy stimulates the lymphatic system, which is the body’s largest detoxification system, one may suffer some side effects such as nausea and dizziness after the massage. To minimize the chances of this happening, you should take the following precautions before you get the massage:
- Hydrate your body by drinking sufficient amounts of water or other fluids. Dehydration could lower your chances of a successful lymph drainage massage and make you feel nauseated after the massage session.
- Because it is a full body massage, it is advisable to undergo the massage on a light stomach since a therapist will drain your abdomen. As such, you may feel sick if you undergo the massage on a full stomach.
- Immediately after the massage, other organs that detoxify the body such as the liver and kidney will be responsible for cleaning up the toxins released from your lymphatic system. As such, you should not to consume unhealthy substances such as alcohol prior to undergoing the massage to avoid overburdening your liver as this may make you feel sick and physically weak.
In order to promote the effectiveness of lymph drainage therapy, you should do the following:
- Let your therapist know if you experience unusual sensations such as pain and discomfort during the massage so that he/she can change the amount of pressure they are using.
- Ensure your therapist concentrates on all the key parts of your lymphatic system.
Overall, besides detoxification, there are other numerous benefits of a lymph drainage massage including relief from chronic lymph node pain, alleviation of cellulite tissue and reduction of inflammation in the bronchi and sinuses. However, in order to reap the maximum benefits of this therapy, you should visit a well-trained and qualified therapist.