Lymphoma, which is a type of cancer, occurs in the immune system when lymphocyte cells (a particular type of white blood cells) grow or multiply uncontrollably.
Since the role of lymphocytes is to fight off infections in the body, all types of lymphoma make the body vulnerable to numerous diseases. However, different classes may have various symptoms and side effects.
For instance, unlike most other forms of lymphoma, Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma (PCNL) may cause dementia. PCNL is a type of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma that typically occurs in the central nervous system. This type of lymph node cancer may originate in the brain, the spinal cord, or even the eye.
To prevent the dire side effects of PCNL such as dementia, one should get an early diagnosis and treatment. Some of the common signs and symptoms of Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma include:
- Seizures and other neurological deficit problems
- Persistent headaches
- Night sweats
- Weight Loss
Other signs include vertigo, loss of vision in one eye, progressive stupor, and hypoesthesia of facial features.
More Information – Lymph Node (Lymphoma) Cancer
One of the complications of PCNL is diminished numerological focal ability, which causes dementia. To forestall this complication, individuals need to undergo regular physical and neurological examinations to detect symptoms of lymphoma.
During a physical PCNL exam, doctors usually check for the following symptoms:
- Abdominal masses
- Skin lesions around the location of various lymph glands
Neurological exams for PCNL include:
- An assessment of the focal abilities to detect any neurological deficiencies
- An evaluation of the peripheral nerves to determine if there is any evidence of PCNL
- Eye exams
The treatment options for Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma (PCNL) include:
- Methotrexate and Corticosteroid based chemotherapy treatments: Using corticosteroids in the new chemotherapy regimen stages may make it challenging to detect PCNL-related abnormalities during biopsy procedures. Nevertheless, Corticosteroids minimize PCNL symptoms and side effects significantly.
- Ocular therapy: Improves the vision of PCNL patients.
- Anti-epileptic drugs: These medications relieve PCNL symptoms such as seizures and headaches.
Extended chemotherapy treatments for Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma (PCNL) may lead to complications such as cerebral matter toxicity, which may compound problems like dementia.
Related How To’s
As with all other types of cancer, the main key to effective treatment of Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma is early diagnosis and treatment. Therefore, one should consult a doctor as soon as possible when one notices any of the symptoms.